Thursday, March 24, 2011

Italian Piazza



Pizza outside Italy, who are we kidding? There is not such thing, not for an Italian at least. But I am brave, and while I make mean pizza at home (if I can say so myself), I need to eat pizza out on Friday nights after the movies. This has been close to impossible when I moved from Italy to Baltimore, where my honey and I would make do in a pizzeria that we nicknamed "The Losers" (obviously not a great one!), but it got much easier in Tucson, especially since Pizzeria Vivace opened in the St. Philips plaza (piazza, in Italian).

First of all, Italians need some harmony. St. Philips piazza has fountains and courtyards and restaurants, and even a riverside  (water optional). Second, the pizza tastes like pizza at Pizzeria Vivace. And last, but not least, they are kind and you feel like at home on your second visit.

As I said, I go there most Friday nights. I had been there with my significant other, most often with our friends after the movies, and once with several friends including a baby. Every time the host, manager, and waiters have been kind and fast. I highly recommend the front room and, if you are a party of six or more, and like to eat like everybody else in Tucson (which is, 6:30 on Friday and Saturday nights), do make reservations. We go after 9 pm, so no problem there. Actually the "late" hour brings another advantage: all drinks are half price after the nocturnal hour of 8 pm, including on weekends!

Speaking of drinks, the half-price policy extends to bottles of wine, and they do have a decent  selection for a pizzeria, which allows you to sample some fine Italian wines without breaking the budget. Pizza is thin but not too thin, hot, and very tasty. At Vivace they do not make too much fuss if you ask half a pizza without cheese (so my sweetheart and I can share), or if you make substitutions. While I never tasted the antipasto, it looks authentic and delicious. I wish they had sorbet for dessert, so I could have a vegan sweet bite at the end of a great simple pizza-salad-and wine meal. The way I see it, this is the perfect place to enjoy the subtle pleasure of having the work week over with, chat with your friends about a good movie you just saw, and have the simplest yet tastiest food and drink on Earth, pizza and wine!

Pizzeria Vivace
4280 N. Campbell Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85719
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:30-2:30 pm
Dinner: Monday-Thursday 5-9 pm; Friday-Saturday 5-10 pm
$

http://www.pizzeriavivace.com/

2 comments:

  1. Is this the pizzeria we ate together a couple of years ago? I don't think so, but my memory is faulty..
    We'll try it next time we come up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moky: that was "Vero Amore", another very good pizzeria in town. We should go to Vivace next!

    ReplyDelete